• Edward.Z

Leading cause of home fires may surprise you!


When we think of house fires the first few causes that come to mind are candles, heaters, electrical cords, kitchen appliances, and smoking. But what may surprise you is one of the leading causes of fire in homes, dryers. Yes, it is true. The National Fire Protection Association, Consumer Product Safety Commission, and the U.S. Fire Administration have all reported clothing dryers as one of the leading causes of home fires. Since 2010, there is an average of over 16,000 reported house fires due to dryers in America alone. And the reason for this, dryer lint build ups. It is common practice to clean your lint trap in between loads, and most people do this already. But what is often forgotten is the dryer vent, which also builds up with lint over time. A buildup of lint is extremely dangerous as lint is highly flammable and often used as a fire starter for avid campers. It is recommended

that your dryer vents are cleaned every 1 to 3 years, depending on the frequency of dryer use and length of the vent. Keeping your vent clean will not only greatly reduce your risk of fire, it will allow your dryer to dry your clothes more efficiently, which could save you money on every single load! And a more efficient dryer means a longer lasting dryer, again saving you money.


While we are on the topic, let’s talk about your dryer’s best friend…the washing machine. Most washing machines come with a set of black rubber hoses for the water it uses. These hoses are under constant pressure from the water and will eventually fail over time, which won’t lead to a fire but instead flooding. Just like dryers are one of the leading causes of home fires, washing machines are one of the leading causes of home flooding. At the first sign of cracking, dry rot, or the tiniest leak, it is time to change your washing machines hoses. So, if you can’t remember the last time your vents were cleaned or your hoses were checked, it’s time!


Don’t become one of the statistics and risk destroying your home. Fire and water damage will cost you thousands of dollars, if not more, like losing your home all together.

If you want your vents cleaned or hoses checked, call handyman by pro today! And while we are there we can help you with any other handyman projects you have, because we want to help you make your home a safe and efficient as possible!


Website: www.handymanbypro.com

Contact Info: 212.739.7841

5 views

Copyright © Handyman by Pro, All rights reserved.

Call Us Today : 212-739-7841